Wednesday, May 2, 2012
The more time the sirloin tips bathe in this recipe’s punchy marinade of lime juice, Worcestershire sauce and garlic, the better. So while we call for marinating the meat for two hours, don’t hesitate to toss them in as you head out to work in the morning. You’ll be rewarded when you get home and fire up the grill.
Carne Asada With Confetti Salsa
Start to finish: 2 1/2 hours (30 minutes active)
For the meat:
- 2 pounds sirloin tips
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
For the salsa:
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored and diced
- 3 tomatillos, diced
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1 mango, pitted and diced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (depending on desired heat)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and black pepper
- In a large zip-close bag, combine the sirloin tips, lime juice, salt, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, black pepper and garlic cloves. Shake to coat the meat. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the bell pepper, tomatillos, avocado, mango, tomato, red onion, chipotle, adobo sauce, garlic, lime juice and cilantro. Stir well, then season with salt and black pepper. Refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving. Let warm to room temperature before serving.
- When ready to cook the steak, heat a grill to high. Drain the meat, discarding the marinade. Use paper towels to pat the meat dry. Sear on the grill, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Serve with the confetti salsa.
Nutrition information per serving: 390 calories; 200 calories from fat (51 percent of total calories); 23 g fat (6 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 110 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrate; 33 g protein; 4 g fiber; 790 mg sodium.